Calling All Kids: Report for Duty at the Kids Safety Academy
The Pasadena Kids Safety Academy is sponsored by the Pasadena Police Department and the Pasadena Fire Department.
The Safety Academy is for elementary school students ages 6 to 12 and their parents. Academy sessions are held from 9 a.m. to noon on seven consecutive Saturdays at Pasadena Police Headquarters, or at other sites specific to the activity for the session. The classes are conducted three times a year.
Classes cover a wide variety of subjects:
- Stranger danger and park safety
- Fire safety and disaster preparedness
- Environmental stewardship and recycling
- Bike rules and safe practices
- The 9-1-1 phone system
- Community leadership
- Water skills and safety
- Proper diet and nutrition
Participants test their bicycle skills on an obstacle course set up and administered by Pasadena police officers.
Classes on safety are taught by:
- The Pasadena Police Department
- The Pasadena Fire Department
- The Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office
- The Pasadena Public Health Department
- The Eaton Canyon Nature Center
- The Rose Bowl Aquatic Center, and
- Pasadena Recycling
Space is limited to 30 children and their parents. Scheduling and reservation information can be obtained by calling 626-744-4551.